In 1948 while campaigning for president, Norman Thomas of the Socialist Party of America said “The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of ‘liberalism’ they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.”
In November of 2008, America elected Barack Obama as its’ 44th President. Since his election President Obama has repeatedly promised to “fundamentally transform America”. The question is – into what?
Will 2010 be the dawn of Socialism in America? Will we be “transformed” from a free country where individuals can write their own ticket through hard work and entrepreneurialism to a “big brother nanny state”? American leadership was built through capitalism which rewards leadership, hard work, innovation and risk taking. A government run economy is incapable of fostering this type of environment.
There are red flags everywhere. Americans should fear the fact that the government is suddenly buying into failing businesses with money they don’t even have. They are printing money, loaning it to themselves and using it to buy failing businesses. You don’t have to have a degree in economics to figure out this is flawed thinking. Look further and it gets worse; the “businesses” they currently run are a wreck – the USPS (lost over a billion in 2009), Freddie Mac, Fannie Mac, Medicare and Social Security (all are insolvent). Plus there is the disastrous first rescue bill and the fact that nobody can tell us where the money really went. Where are all the shovel ready, job creating projects? Turns out politicians are more interested in votes than results.
So what has happened to create this possibility? In 2009 we saw the single largest expansion of the federal government in American history. Worse yet, this expansion was not single pronged. There was expansion on multiple fronts. Here are some examples:
1. The government bailed out and took over many financial institutions. Shortly after that the Treasury secured unprecedented new powers from Congress to “protect the national economy from companies whose collapse could jeopardize it.” Now until the T.A.R.P. funds are paid back many institutions find themselves at the mercy of government regulators and the Treasury Dept. Included in their new powers are the power to seize control of institutions, set executive compensation, take over their bad loans, and other illiquid assets and sell good ones to competitors. What is worse is that many of these powers extend to companies that may get in trouble in the future or companies that in the government’s opinion could weaken the U.S. economy based on their fiscal soundness.
2. The government has intervened in the economy in ways never before seen. The massive stimulus bill was supposed to jump start job creation and the credit markets, neither has happened. However the government is creating jobs at a record pace. This is not a long term solution because the government consumes wealth – it does not create it. The more government jobs that are created the more tax revenue is needed to fund them. Also there have been dumb programs such as “Cash for Clunkers” and “Cash for Caulkers” that provide no real sustainable economic recovery but create “good will giveaways” to build loyalty among the democrat faithful.
“A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.” George Bernard Shaw
3. The government has taken over both Chrysler and GM, along the way firing key executives and replacing them with government pawns. The automotive takeover has been a windfall for their union supporters in terms of both money and power.
4. The foreign policy and approach to national security of this administration have weakened our homeland defense as well as our international stature. Obama does not subscribe to the idea of “American exceptionalism.” Given the opportunity, he would willing sign on to all types international and U.N. treaties that will erode U.S sovereignty.
5. This administration has an unprecedented number of “czars” and advisors each assigned to work on specific areas of “transformation”. As White House chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel likes to say’ “Never let a crisis go to waste.” This administration is using legislation, regulation and manipulation to shape their transformational policies. For example the declaration of “greenhouse gases” as harmful to humans is regulation designed to manipulate the Congress into action on climate change legislation. This group of czars and advisors is made up of many scary left wing radicals such as John Holdren, Cass Sunstein, Kevin Jennings, Ron Bloom, Carol Browner, Mark Lloyd, Cameron Davis, Daniel Fried, Joshua DuBois and David J. Hayes. If you do not know who these people are you owe it to yourself to research them. They are advising your president.
6. The policy agenda of the Obama administration is rooted in social programs that expand the government and its’ control. This has fueled out of control spending. We have tripled the debt in Obama’s first year. Health care reform would give the government the opportunity to control 17% of the U.S. economy. New climate change legislation will give them more control of energy and industry. Net Neutrality and a revived version of the Fairness Doctrine will give them greater control of the internet and the airwaves. Programs such as the Wildlands Network or the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force are designed to give the federal government greater control of land/water resources and their uses. All of this while pushing the country to edge of bankruptcy.
“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.” Thomas Jefferson
So to summarize, the current administration plans to “fundamentally transform America”. They have an ambitious agenda and they are moving at warp speed to get this accomplished while they control the both houses of Congress. 2010 will give us a mid term election to change the Congress but we have to get there without allowing them to pass more of their agenda items. The health care reform debate is solid evidence this is not about us or what we want. Even though there is clear public sentiment against this bill the administration is willing to try to jam it down our throats at any cost.
The free markets have been working for years. Companies rise and fall. Some declare bankruptcy and find their way back (see most of the airline industry) others don‘t. Why is this time any different? The only thing that has caused this time to be different is more government involvement and intervention! Involvement with Freddie/Fannie to push home ownership to those who really couldn’t afford it. Intervention over and over by the Fed manipulating interest rates to avoid allowing the bubble to burst which helped fuel credit spending and create false prosperity. Most advocates of free market economics/capitalism believe that this continuous manipulation and intervention by the government deepened the downturn in our economy. We can not spend our way out of this.
Here is what the President and most of the Congress doesn’t seem to get — they live in America. We are not a socialist country. This country was built on a system of free market capitalism. The government should not be seizing companies and taking them over. The government does not have unlimited powers to control healthcare, energy, private property, etc. We have a constitution that was designed to protect us from an out of control federal government. We need to use it. It is the time for real change – it is time to take back the country from the politicians and return control to regular people with common sense.
“Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of “crackpot” than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.” – Thomas J. Watson
We need to get involved and send a message to our elected representatives that they work for us. If they won’t do the right things for our country they can and will be fired.
As Thomas Jefferson said, “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned — this is the sum of good government.”
So America, it is time to ask, how much control should the government have? This is not what the founding fathers had in mind. The government we see evolving before us is not part of any of the blue prints they left us!
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.” Thomas Jefferson
Wake up America! Restore the Republic, Reject Socialism!